Uplifting Leaders* (*Who Happen to Be Women) Offers Advice from Nation’s Top Female Business Leaders
When business partners Barb Brown and Margie Flynn set out to commemorate the 20th anniversary of their Cleveland-based corporate sustainability and governance consulting firm, they embarked on a book project that’s purpose was to give further voice to women leaders.
In their recently published book, Uplifting Leaders* (*Who Happen to be Women), Brown and Flynn capture insights and stories of 25 of the nation’s most accomplished and influential women in business on how they empower and uplift others as they seek to progress in their lives and careers.
The diverse spectrum of leaders who share their candid insights and advice range from newly instated Nasdaq President and CEO Adena Friedman; the Campbell Soup Company President and CEO Denise Morrison; and Cleveland-based KeyCorp Chairman and CEO Beth Mooney.
But, the authors want to do much more than simply tell these stories.
At the heart of the book is a call to action—to “pay it forward” by passing Uplifting Leaders and its insights onto other people in their lives.
“The truth is, that while women in the workforce have evolved and gained ground over the years, national statistics indicate that there still exists a large gender-based gap at the top,” Brown said. “So, we challenge readers to determine what actions they can take to drive a ‘liftoff’ of more women to the top.”
For that reason, the authors will donate 100 percent of the book’s net proceeds to support the education of young women transitioning out of foster care through the YWCA Greater Cleveland’s Nurturing Independence and Aspirations (NIA) Program.
“We are honored that YWCA Greater Cleveland was selected to benefit from their generosity, and that this book written by and about incredible women will change the lives of young women in our community,” Margaret Mitchell, President & CEO, YWCA Greater Cleveland, said.
NIA’s comprehensive support system empowers homeless young adults (ages 18-24), many of whom are transitioning out of foster care, to successfully attain the highest level of self-sufficiency.
“We would like to thank Barb and Margie for giving life to this powerful book. It’s no surprise that they would choose to continue their dedication to making our world a better place by giving the proceeds to a charity,” she adds.
In the spirit of empowering leaders, the book also offers ways for readers to easily share the book’s insights. Critical pieces of advice given by the featured women are printed on perforated cards which readers are encouraged to tear from the book and pass on to mentors, mentees, friends, and coworkers.
“Whether in a gesture of gratitude for their help along the way, or in inspiration for the challenges to come, everyone can find a piece of wisdom to share from Uplifting Leaders,” Flynn said.
For more information or to purchase the book, visit www.UpliftingLeaders.com.
Women Featured in Uplifting Leaders
- Virginia Albanese, President and CEO, FedEx Custom Critical
- Jodi L. Berg, President and CEO, Vita-Mix Corporation
- Jenniffer D. Deckard, President and CEO, Fairmount Santrol
- Heather Ettinger, Managing Partner, Fairport Asset Management
- Adena Friedman, President and CEO, Nasdaq
- Susan M. Fuehrer, Medical Center Director, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center
- M. Ann Harlan, Co-CEO, Harlan Partners, LLC; Retired Vice President and General Counsel, The J.M. Smucker Company
- Carla Harris, Vice Chairman, Wealth Management; Managing Director and Senior Client Advisor, Morgan Stanley
- E. Laverne Johnson, Founder, President and CEO, International Institute for Learning, Inc.
- Erika Karp, Founder and CEO, Cornerstone Capital Inc.
- Robin Kilbride, President, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Smithers-Oasis Company
- Ilene H. Lang, Former President and CEO, Catalyst
- Beth E. Mooney, Chairman and CEO, KeyCorp
- Denise Morrison, President and CEO, Campbell Soup Company
- Karen Parkhill, Executive Vice President and CFO, Medtronic
- Sandy Pianalto, Former President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
- Dr. Jean Rogers, CEO and Founder, Sustainability Accounting Standards Board
- Marcella Kanfer Rolnick, Vice Chair, GOJO
- Lisa Sherman, President and CEO, The Advertising Council
- Barbara R. Snyder, President, Case Western Reserve University
- Darla Stuckey, President and CEO, Society for Corporate Governance
- Dr. Jerry Sue Thornton, CEO, Dream/Catcher Educational Consulting Service
- Lisa Woll, CEO, US SIF/US SIF Foundation
- Margaret W. Wong, Managing Partner, Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC
- Jacqueline Woods, Retired President, AT&T Ohio